I often like to experiment a little in the kitchen and I’d like to think that this soup/broth base is a bit of a signature dish for me. I definitely think it gets better the more I make it and I love trying new combinations or slight variations.
I’ve made it with chicken, beef, tofu, noodles or no noodles and added either fresh carrot and bean sprouts pho-style or cooked mushrooms and bok choy in the broth. You can honestly do whatever tickles your fancy! Just recently I tried it with fish for the first time and I think it’s safe to say this is my favourite combination yet. I’ll definitely be making it again in the coming months as the weather gets cooler!
These measurements are roughly for 1 serve but it’s pretty easy to add extra to stretch this out to serve a few people.
- 500ml Chicken Stock (home-made or organic is best but I only had powdered salt-reduced stock on hand and it tasted just fine)
- 250ml water
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves – finely diced
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/3 head of broccoli – cut into bite sized florets
- 1 small bunch bok choy – end chopped off and leaves halved
- Half a large carrot – sliced in 0.5 cm thick slices
- 2 mushrooms – sliced
- 1/2 a large barramundi fillet
- Half a small red chilli – de-seeded and finely diced (or to taste)
- Small handful coriander – torn slightly
In a medium saucepan heat the coconut oil and fry the garlic for a couple of minutes. Add the chicken stock and water and bring to the boil.
Once boiling add the soy sauce and fish sauce and reduce heat to simmer.
Arrange the fish in a steaming basket on some baking paper and place over the broth.
Once fish is almost cooked through (pull apart slightly with a knife to check this – should be just slightly pink in the middle) add the broccoli and carrot to the broth, stir and place the steam basket back over the top. Let simmer for approximately 5 mins.
Next add the bok choy and mushroom to the broth, stir and place the steam basket back over the top. Let simmer for 2 mins.
Turn off the heat and remove the steam basket from the saucepan. Pour the broth and vegetables into a large bowl and the arrange the fish on top. It will break apart a bit but that doesn’t matter.
Garnish with the coriander and chilli and enjoy!